Mom called me this evening and asked in a shaky voice if I had spoken with GE. Someone had found his phone lying on the trail between Garnett and 129th and called "Mom's cell" to let her know. Your mind goes through all sorts of scary scenarios when something like this happens.
While she and dad were going to pick up the phone, I headed out to the parking lot at 101st and Garnett to see if he was parked there and leave a note on his truck saying, "Mom has your phone." No luck. I headed towards NSU parking lot next because I knew he rides/runs between those two spots.
Driving on the Creek, I was searching the trail to see if I could see him. While I was on the phone with BA PD dispatch (yes, I called them just to say, hey, we may need you later, which they were very cool about. They said just to give them a call and they would send an officer), I spotted what looked like his truck in a parking lot off of 145th and the Creek. How in the world do I get there???
It's amazing how adrenline will let you focus on a task. Found the lot, and there he was, talking with his friend Aaron who happened to pull up to do his own run. GE was sick that he lost his phone. He said he left open his bike pouch and his cell fell out within the first two miles of riding, but he didn't discover it until well into his ride. He double-backed those two miles for about 45 minutes and had given up right before I pulled up.
GE is unharmed, he has his lifeline back, and my mom went home to take a hot bath and Tylenol PM. Needless to say, she was beside herself.
Lessons I learned from this:
* Put an emergency contact card in my bike pouch. GE forgot to take his license with him. If something had happened, the bike wouldn't have had any identification.
* Include "Emergency contact" information in my cell contacts. The guy who found the phone scrolled through the contacts to see who he could contact, and when he saw "Mom's cell," he called her. I told GE to list a contact as Emergency Contact and put my number. GE is fortunate an honest person turned in the phone, but calling Mom and panicking her could have been avoided. I am going to list my husband as my contact.
* Call my cell carrier to see if my contacts can be backed up in any way should I lose my phone.
* Ride/run with a friend or, if alone, let someone know where you will be. I was fortunate that I knew most of the parking lots and trail he frequents, so I knew where to look. Mom and Dad do not, so they wouldn't have had the first clue about where to start looking.
It was really scary, and I'm glad he is safe.
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad he is safe, although knowing Glen, I would have to see him go missing for a while before worrying too much. Glad he was reunited with....his phone.
PS, you're a great sister for being so worried. Kid brother is lucky.
I lost Susan on the trails once and I was about to call the police.
I understand the panic. I was thinking kidnapping, rape, injury, all kinds of stuff.
Be safe people.
Wow...glad all turned out well. I miss you all. Work has still been keeping me away. Love and miss you all!
Just happened along this blog
"ICE" - in case of emergency is also a way to have a phone contact for emegencies. Some carriers even have it built into the phone list, and it's bright red for the contact if they're in as a name also.
There's also "RoadID.com" has bands you can wear on your ankle, your wrist, a shoe pouch or even as a dog tag - though that's a little less safe for staying on. You can customize it with emergency contact info. I keep mine with my running shoes so I put it on at the same time.
Post a Comment