Below are GE and me prerace. He was part of the chain gang, the guys who wear the neon yellow vests to separate the elite runners from the peons. He was excited to be asked to do that b/c he is all about starting as close to the front as possible. His time was a very envious 1:05:05. He was shooting for under an hour, but he has scaled back his training the past couple of weeks due to an injury. He came in 170th out of all of the runners running, which there were 3,362 15K'rs; 18th out of 226 in his age group; and 148th out of 1,859 total males, which I think are really awesome finishes. His running pace was 6:59, so just under seven-minute miles. He was flying! We didn't get a postrace pic as we couldn't find each other among all the people, so he left to go take a shower.
The next pic is of my running bud Jen and her boyfriend Keith. They finished in 1:30:+, the time I wanted to finish in, but I just didn't have it in me at the end. Jen had been debating whether or not she wanted to run the Run since she doesn't run with us on Saturdays and had ran only a couple of ten-miler trainings. Obviously she was ready.
And here are the Running Princesses. Left to right: Stacy, who just ran the Chicago marathon a couple of weeks ago and whose twin Tracy had been training with us but was out due to a knee injury; Christal, who runs with us on Saturdays and couldn't believe I have bangs (see prior posting); Stefanie, our fearless and encouraging leader; Simone (in red), who did an outstanding job in the Run, her first long race and who had ran her longest run ever, training or otherwise, of 13 miles only the weekend before; Lauren, my running pardner and creator of the tiaras and sashes (mine said Run Sassy); Sarah, Stefanie's niece, the youngest runner in our group and who is preparing to run the 1/2; Jen; and me. When Lauren called me on Friday to tell me about the costume, I was apprehensive but was a good sport and wore it, minus the pink gloves. I loved it!! We had lots of people, lookers-on and runners, yell to us, "Way to go, princesses!" "Good job, queens." It was great to hear the encouragement that was directed specifically to us.
In the picture below, also dressing up were Kathy (right), RunnersWorld owner and our coach, and her friend, whose name I can't remember, as boxers and Ken as the ring girl. (Not pictured is Roman as the referee.) They ran the whole race in this git-up, stopping every mile or so for Ken to announce the next round and then the girls "duking it out." There was also a RW group of four women who dressed up in '50s garb, complete with poodle skirts, neckerchiefs, and tennis shoes spray painted black and white to look like saddle shoes. They looked so good.
On hand in my bystanders support group, among others, were Mom and my niece Maddie, GE's daughter. Mushtaq, a runner who I happened to meet and run with a couple of weeks before at a Sat run, brought his son Skylar. I think Mushtaq was in a childcare quandry as he was looking for someone for Skylar to hang out with until Mushtaq finished the race. My mom adores children, so being the sweet person she is, she volunteered to watch him. Maddie didn't mind either since Skylar brought along his DS (some handheld video game, as I understand it) and that is what Maddie is asking for, for her bday.
Those are the prerace pix I have, so here is my race experience.
We ran south on Boulder and took a left on 15th. The bagpipers' droning music was a downer, but I really do appreciate their participation. I saw the man wearing the full dress of firefighting uniform, complete with air tank. He was smiling and doing well. People were passing me left and right, though. I was thinking, These people are either going to finish really quickly or die trying. I would like to know how many ran out of gas before getting to the finish.
Made it up the Cherry Street hill to Utica with no problems. The hill didn't phase me thanks, I believe, to having ran it before. Passing Panera was a killer. It smelled so good.
Took a right onto Utica off of 15th. Stef and Sarah walked here b/c of side stitches. Lauren, Jen, Keith, and I caught up with Christal and Simone and ran with them up the hill to 21st and took a right. Still feeling good. The downhill to Peoria was wonderful. People were stopping at the porta potties at 21st and Peoria, but we never took a potty break during the race. The uphill portion after Peoria wasn't even bad.
The first water stop I remember is in front of Lee elementary, though I think there was one before it but along 21st as well. But at Lee, U.S. Rep. Sullivan was handing out water. I wish the table had been located in the middle of the street, though, instead of on the right shoulder. It would have made for easier access, and I know I made some people mad when I crossed in front of them to grab some water.
Still going and feeling good at the 23rd Street bridge. Looked over the right (north) side and saw a couple of the Kenyans already heading north on Riverside, one getting ready to turn onto Denver. I am in awe they can run so fast.
Did the loop onto Riverside to head south to run to 39th. The fast front runners were already heading north. I recognized a few of them and knew GE wouldn't be far behind. At this point, I started losing it, first mentally, followed quickly by physically. I really needed to focus but I didn't want to miss GE, so I tried sending him an ESP message, thinking, Would you hurry up and pass me so I can quit looking for you? I finally saw him underneath the pedestrian bridge. I stuck out my hand and yelled, "Way to go, Glenn Ed!" He later said he didn't even see me b/c he was so focused. Shortly thereafter, I saw Ed who flashed me his double peace signs. I was so happy for him because he was doing a great job. I didn't know he could run that fast! I saw Suzanne and Jeanine heading north as well. They were both doing fantastic. Simone ran ahead of us around this time and I didn't see her again until after the race. I am glad she did so well. Then I heard someone yell, "Way to go, princesses," and I think it was Kendal, but by that time I was no longer looking for or at people. I was just trying to make it to the turn.
Seeing all of the people along Riverside, I was thinking, Why are these people just standing there? Why aren't they yelling, clapping, cheering us on? So as I was making the turn, I yelled, "We are tired. Please cheer us on." They obliged, but we constantly ran past people just standing there, holding their coffee or, even worse, a bottle of water, looking at us as we are struggling with the last 4+ miles. To occupy my mind, I kept yelling at people. "Cheering for us helps." "We are running out of steam. We need some encouragment." "This is hard. Please clap for us." Several people were gracious enough to help us out, but a lot of people just, again, stood there. I finally had to stop yelling as it was messing up my breathing.
We get just passed the pedestrian bridge and there is a guy lying on the side, legs in the street, torso on the grass. Luckily, three running fire fighters (and I knew they were b/c they had "Fire Fighter" on their t-shirt) had stopped and were assisting. There was another person on a cell phone, but I can't remember if it was a man or woman. I hope the runner was okay.
And I have to tell you my "dog trapped in the storm drain" story. We get to around 25th and Riverside and I start hearing, "Woof [one thousand one], woof [one thousand two], woof [one thousand three], woof [one thousand four]..." My first thought is a bystander had a dog who was barking at the runners, but I never saw one in the next block or so. Still running and still hearing the barking, my next thought was, Oh, no, there is a dog caught in the stormwater runoff drain and he is barking so someone will help him. Why are these people just standing there?! Why aren't they looking down the grates, calling for him?! Why aren't there police or animal control here trying to rescue this poor guy?! The barking continues to the next block and it is as loud and clear as the previous block. Again I think, Oh, no, the poor little guy is running back and forth in the drain trying to get someone's attention. Am I the only person who can hear him? I am seriously thinking about stopping to help this poor dog. Why is no one doing anything?!
Just so I can make sure I am not dreaming this, I ask Lauren, in hopes she will suggest we need to stop and help, "What is that noise?" She points to the older guy in front of us. It is his breathing!!!!!! With each exhaling breath, he is making this grunting/woofing sound. Boy, am I pissed! Why can't this *$^#) runner be quiet??! We end up following him all the way to Denver and up the hill. At one point, he takes a deep breath and makes the noise again on the long exhalation. I had to get away from him; he was psyching me out. Laugh all you want (I know I am now), but I truly thought there was a distressed dog needing help.
Maybe it was because of this guy's breathing or my thinking that a dog needed help or my mind's mental game playing that I don't remember passing under the pedestrian bridge going north, and I'm glad I don't b/c that was the hardest and longest part for me.
At the Denver Street turn off of Riverside, Lauren kept up her encouragement (she didn't seem tired at all), telling me, "C'mon, we can do it. We are in the home stretch." At that point, we catch up with Saturday running buddies Robb and Daryl. I had been wondering since early that morning where they were, and I'm glad we finally caught up with them. They asked how I was doing, and I could only answer with one word: "Hurting." I wanted to talk with them, ask how their race was going, but I cannot stress enough how much I was having trouble at this point just trying to finish. My stomach was upset and it wasn't as fun as I remember the training being. I really thought I wouldn't have this much of a problem and was second-guessing my thought of even participating in the 1/2. Was it mental? Was it physical? Both of the above? Yes to all, and I couldn't seem to get it under control. That Riverside stretch did me in. I really thought I was going to have to walk at several points of it. The hills were nothing compared to the 4-mile flat out-and-back that I refer to not so fondly as the Riverside beast.
We ran with the guys along Denver, past QT, where we grabbed water at the last station, and continued toward the finish line. The bright green banner with white "FINISH" letters on it was a welcome sight a couple of minutes later. I knew I could finish it out.
The guys ran ahead of us as I tried to gather enough strength. I really felt like I was holding Lauren back. She never seemed to tire out. She was my life-saver, my encourager, my motivation to keep going. I would have definitely walked if not for her.
I see Dave and Mom standing there right before the finish line. I hear Mushtaq yell, "Good job, Cassy!" Dave is holding up his cell taking my picture. Was that Maddie's soccer friend's mom standing with Mom? I give a wave and a smile for the camera as I know I am about to cross the line. I did it, and I am so happy I made it.
This is GE finishing the race. He makes it look so easy. I wish I had his running posture.
I'm the one with the long-sleeved white shirt and green shorts. Lauren is behind the girl in the blue shirt and visor. It turned out to be a beautiful day. I'm glad I wore shorts instead of tights.
After the race, we stand in the water/goodies line for 10-15 minutes waiting our turn. They have ran out of oranges, so I grab some Snickers, Reece's, and a Butterfinger (I end up giving Dave the Reece's, Maddie the Snickers, and I am saving the Butterfinger for later). The volunteers are also quickly running out of water. Ten minutes later, I am talking with a friend who just came through and she said they are definitely out of water. I feel sorry for the rest of the runners who won't get anything. I hope the organizers plan better next year. Budweiser also ran out of beer. Twelve kegs are floating in two hours.
Dad wasn't able to make it b/c he was home with Austin, so I honored him by donating $1 to raise money for the families of deployed soldiers and wore a back bib stating I was running on behalf of "Dad, U.S. Navy, Vietnam vet." He called me in the evening and was so excited that I wore it for him and told me he hung it up on the garage wall, "next to the Confederate flag car tag."
It was time to round up and go home. We wanted to see some of the OU/KSU game and we needed to get ready to go to Boo Ha Ha on Brookside later in the afternoon. Below are Austin (GE's son), Mom/Grandma, and Maddie waiting for the parade to begin.
My final stats for the run were a finishing time of 1:32:50, which I am very happy with b/c I thought I would finish more like 1:40, 1:45. I would have liked to have kept it sub-1:30, but now I have something to work towards. I finished 2,033rd out of 3,362 total 15K runners; 115th out of 221 in my age group (35-39); and 680th out of 1,503 total females. My running pace was 9:58, which means I ran less than a 10-minute pace, which I am totally pumped about because I normally run a 10:30, +/-, during training.
Maddie had so much fun that she is wanting to do the 5K next year. I told her we need to start training, and I am signing us up to do the McNellie's fun run in two weeks. (She wants to wear the tiara and sash for that race.) She and I ran the Wish Lemons fun run earlier in the year, and she came in first in her age group.
I will definitely do the Tulsa Run again next year, but for now, I have to concentrate on my 1/2 marathon training that is a short three weeks away. (Yes, I have decided to stick with it and do it). If you have the chance to come watch the race, I hope you do, and please cheer on the runners. It makes a huge difference.
(Postpublishing comment: After looking at a picture Ken put on the RW blog, the finish sign was not green with white letters; it was white with blue and red letters. That is how out of it I was!)
6 comments:
Way to go. I knew you could do it. The half is quite doable for you also.
Way to go Cassie! You are going to do great in the half marathon.
This is so neat Cassy! Greatjob on the run! I'm looking forward to the half marathon and running with you on Saturday.Talk to you soon :)
Awesome job, Cassie. You are one tough runner!
I heard the barking guy on the long out and back. He was right by me going the other way when he barked, and startled me. Never thought he was an underground dog though. :-Þ
OMG I so heard the barking dude. I had to take off my tunes to make sure. You all looked Mahvelous and you did great! Yeah for sub tens. See ya Tues!
Cassy, you did great! I am so proud of you and the rest of my Intermediate 1/2 Marathon training group. You guys always impress me and are so much fun to run with. Don't worry about the Route 66. You are going to cruise right through it.
Post a Comment