I've heard of it happening, and it was the one thing I didn't want happening, but I fear it is going to. I think I have "runner's toe" and my toenail is going to come off. ( big sobs)
This is going to be a semigraphic entry, so quit reading now if need be. And I will spare you a picture.
My right middle toenail started turning purple a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a bruise and would eventually go away, but it didn't. It kept getting worse. I didn't know why. It isn't like the toe is longer than the others. All of my toes gradually get shorter, from big to pinkie. I keep my toenails trimmed as Coach Kathy advised. I take care of my feet! My mom has said I have had my toenails polished since I was three. I take pride in my feet. I didn't feel my toes rubbing against the end of my shoe when I ran. I was dumbfounded and just ignored it, but the pain started getting worse last week, and the toenail quickly turned to a purplish-black. There was a blister at the end of my toe, so I popped it, thinking that would do the trick. While the blister went away, the discoloration didn't. I asked GE about it, and his sympathetic brotherly response was a laugh and comment of, "You're a runner now!"
Saturday I put my embarrassment and humiliation to the side and asked Coach about it. She put her thumb between my toes and the end of my shoe and had me run to and fro. She said I could probably stand going up a half a size bigger in my shoe, and since I am already wearing a half a size bigger than I normally do, that would put me in a -gasp! - seven!! I have never worn a seven in my entire life.
Saturday night, it was the worst it has been. The pain and redness was down into my toe joint. My nail was moving back and forth like a loose tooth. Dave looked down at my toe and said, "Oh my God, what is wrong with your toe?!" I said, "I told you it's been hurting!!" My mom had thought I painted my one toenail black. That night, I stuck a needle into the end of my toe about 10-15 times hoping to get the blood and fluid out from it. Some came out, not a lot, but enough to relieve most of the pressure and give me some relief.
I took my niece Maddie and dog Josie for a trail walk at Turkey on Sunday. Yep, painful.
I went to Dr. Steichen today. He said he has seen this many times with runners, Boy Scouts, athletes who are on their feet a lot. He took a superduty needle and stuck it through my toenail. It didn't hurt like I thought it would. I told him when my dad used to hit his finger with a hammer and his fingernail got a blood blister, he would use a drill bit to relieve the pressure. Dr. Steichen said that probably wasn't a good idea.
Postop report: The discoloration and redness are still there but aren't as scary looking. The pressure pain has gone away. Now it is just a soreness from the needle prick. Fluid continues coming out of the hole, but it feels so much better.
I am going to RW Tuesday or Wednesday for a new, larger, pair of shoes. I will miss my pretty green, silver, and while Asics Gels. They were my firsts: my first 5K, my first trail run, my first serious training regimen.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great post....just one thing could make it perfect....PICTURES!
And don't worry about the shoe size. It's not like dress sizes. No one is gonna talk behind your back about how BIG your feet are getting. Isn't there something they say about women with big feet??
I had a feeling that TZ would be first to request pictures! It's a good thing you're not running tonight, because you would likely be peer-pressured into taking your shoe and sock off so that TZ can see it and take pictures! (Trust me - I've been there!)
And if it makes you feel any better - I have to run in size 9's! I would love to be able to fit my foot in a pair of 7's!!
Post a Comment