Saturday's run route was one of the hardest ones we have had thus far. Below is the almost eight-mile course, starting from Veteran's Park at 18th and Boston.
North on Boston to 15th, 15th to Utica (quite a hill), Utica to 21st (still hilly), 21st to Yorktown (a little downhill but mostly uphill), Yorktown to Forest Blvd (some downhill, but a big uphill climb), Forest to Lewis (uphill again), across Lewis onto 28th and to Columbia (just some little rolling hills, almost flat compared to the rest of the route), and then back along the same route.
That is just the first part. After we made it back to Veteran's Park, we had either a two- or four-mile loop to complete our day's running. My running partners, Darrell and Rob, and I opted to tough it out for four. In all, we did close to 12 miles, which is more than the Tulsa Run 15K and 1 1/2 fewer miles than the half.
Tulsa's Race for the Cure was Saturday morning, so we also had a training run Sunday morning for the runners who didn't make Saturday's b/c they were at the race. I ran the training route again, minus the last loop, to see how I would do. Saturday's run was all mental, whereas Sunday's run was all physical. I was sore and stiff from Saturday, so I took it easier on Sunday. But I am glad I went. I got to listen to stories from Roman and Kathy about the international marathons they have participated in, in London, Paris, and Rome. They are heading to Greece in November '09. How fun would that be?!?!
Anywho, after Sunday's run, I was tired and hurting pretty badly, but I headed out to Turkey Mountain. GE was to call me to see if I felt like running with them through the mountain trails, but I had forgotten my phone, so I was going to leave a note saying I didn't. When I pulled into the parking lot, there he and his group were standing. Well, I couldn't wimp out and say no, so I tried to push the pain into the back of my mind and did a one-mile trail run as a warm-up. Not having done a trail run before, it is totally different than running on pavement. It works a different group of muscles, and since you are dodging boulders and tree limbs and not running at a steady pace, it is hard to find a breathing rhythm.
We finished the first trail, and I should have stopped right there, but GE wanted to show me another trail, a longer trail. It was probably 2-3 miles. I was exhausted, so I walked most of it. I loved the experience, though, and seeing all that the forest had to give. It was beautiful and peaceful. I plan to take Josie up there soon. She will love all the smells!
All in all, it was an adventurous weekend. I am still sore, so I hope my running friend Jen doesn't call to see if I want to join her tonight at LaFortune. ;-)
3 comments:
Sounds like you had a busy weekend! GE will have you running ultras next. A word for the wise...if he starts talking to you about Sunmart....RUN the other way!!
Just kidding. Ya ought to think about coming!
Yay for trying out the trails!
I did a night run out there a couple months ago with TZ, GE, and a few other guys. It was my first night run and they were all super nice and didn't let me get lost - and it was sooo much fun! If they ever ask you to join a night run, you should try it!
So, I'm not the only one still sore from Saturday's hilly run. I shouldn't have done the run on Sunday; Monday I could hardly walk, but I ran 4 miles slowly anyway. Tuesday I didn't run at all, which is weird because I usually run twice on Tuesday. This morning I got up and was going to run 9 miles, but I was so sore that I stopped at 5. It took me about 4 miles before I felt my muscles had loosened up. Tonight I did some massage by rolling my legs on top of a basketball with as much body weight on them as I can stand. It seems to have helped. Hopefully I can get at least one good run in tomorrow. I think what wore me out so much on Saturday was going down those hills fast with Rusty.
Post a Comment